“If you want to finish strong, finish at Central.”
– Brandon Rosas ’20
Hometown: Parnell, Iowa
Major: Communication Studies
Study Abroad: Mérida, Mexico
Campus Activities: Central College Communications Student Intern and Board Game Club
Scholarships: Presidential Transfer Scholarship and Art Department Award
Career: Public Relations and Communications Coordinator, Musco Sports Lighting, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Brandon Rosas ’20, an aspiring writer and visual communicator, transferred to Central from another four-year college for access to opportunity.
He found everything he was looking for and more.
In addition to courses in his communication studies major and art minor, Rosas became a student intern and student writer for Central’s Communications Office, the college’s integrated marketing communications and media relations department.
That led to:
- Mentorship from nationally published writers, editors and photographers.
- Personal coaching in video production from the Central’s videographer.
- Publishing dozens of bylined stories, profiles, essays and photographs for Central’s alumni magazine and website.
- Attendance at a state-level media and communications conference in Des Moines.
- Work experience in radio and media relations.
- An impressive professional portfolio even before graduation.
His advice: It’s not too late to get the educational experience and career preparation you deserve — even if you started college somewhere else.
“Transferring colleges can be tough, but from my first visit to campus, Central made me feel not just welcome, but wanted,” Rosas says. “I hardly even think of myself as a transfer student, because Central has made me feel like such an important part of this institution. If you want to finish strong, finish at Central.”