Transfer Students

Life is too short to spend your college experience somewhere you aren’t completely comfortable. Choosing a new college is a big deal, and Central College’s unique traditions make all the difference for the student experience. Whether you’re moving from a two-year or four-year college, we know the transition somewhere new can be tricky. So, here’s some helpful information to get you started. And congratulations on taking the first step toward the best. Decision. EVER!

Campus Visit Information

Campus visits are encouraged! Central admission staff is happy to arrange for you to take a tour of campus and meet with an admission counselor, registrar (to help determine how credits will transfer), faculty member, coach, financial aid staff and others who that will help ease your transition to Central. Admission office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon during the academic year.

Schedule a Visit

Application procedure

We suggest you start the application process at least three months prior to your intended enrollment date. That ensures you the best opportunity to arrange for housing, apply for financial aid and attend Summer Registration and Orientation. Make sure you do the following:

Apply online or send your paper application to the address below.

Request that all postsecondary institutions you have attended send your academic transcripts to the Central College Office of Admission, regardless of whether you believe you received credit at each.

Request your final high school transcript and ACT and/or SAT scores be sent to the Central College Office of Admission. Please note: We no longer require standardized test scores (ACT/SAT) for admission to Central; however, those who submit standardized test scores will be eligible for additional scholarships based on the scores.

Send your $25 application fee along with your paper application. We will waive the application fee if:

  • You apply online.
  • Your parents are alumni or a Central graduate signs your application.
  • You bring your application with you during a personal campus visit.
  • You apply before January 15 (for Fall semester admission).

Send your paper application, transcripts, test scores and application fee (if applicable) to:

Office of Admission
Central College
812 University Street
Pella, Iowa 50219

Additional Information

Credit transfer and course equivalencies

We know a big concern when transferring is making sure the credits you have already earned will transfer toward a degree at Central. Courses in which you have earned a C (2.0) or better will be considered for transfer credit. A maximum of 60 semester hours of transfer credit (including a maximum of 24 semester hours from AP, IB, PSEO and dual enrollment) may be applied toward completion of a Central degree. Course equivalencies from numerous Iowa community colleges are available in the Transfer Credit Guide. A transfer credit evaluation may be requested after you have been admitted to Central. Please email Central’s transfer student admission representative with questions or for more information.

Transfer Credit Guide    Transfer Credit Policy

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Central offers a generous scholarship program for transfer students. All admitted students will be considered for scholarships — no separate application necessary. In addition, students filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at will be considered for all need-based financial assistance. Central’s FAFSA code is 001850. We recommend you file the FAFSA no later than June 1.

Approximately 99% of Central students receive some type of financial assistance, including academic scholarships, need-based grants, work study and student loans. In addition, we offer a convenient monthly payment program or a SAFE account plan to help manage your college expenses.


Central is an intentionally residential community. We are committed to on-campus living as a vital component of our integrated learning environment. As a transfer student at Central, you have several options for living arrangements. There are two coed halls, one women’s hall, one men’s hall, an apartment-style complex and our townhouse facilities. Be assured that we work with each student to match up roommates with similar interests and at similar points in their college career.

We require all full-time students to live in college-owned housing unless married, of nontraditional age (23 years or older), a veteran or have a dependent child(ren). Off-campus living is limited and permitted for upper class students only when there is a shortage of rooms on-campus. Transfer students must get approval to live off-campus.

Please be aware that financial aid will be adjusted for off-campus students.

Next Steps

Admitted students will receive an email from the registrar’s office outlining how your courses will transfer to Central.  The email includes: a course-by-course transfer credit explanation; program evaluations showing how your courses apply toward the core of general education requirements and your potential major(s); and an overall summary of the number of credits transferred and pending.

Pay the $200 enrollment deposit to the admission office.

Central’s transfer coordinator and transfer dean will contact you to assist with the class registration process.  Spring transfer students can start registering for classes in November and Fall semester registration begins in April.



You may reach either of the staff members below by calling Central’s toll-free number at 1-877-462-3687 and asking for:

Chevy Freiburger

Vice President for Enrollment Management & Dean of Admission

Donna Newendorp

Associate Director of Financial Aid

Success Secrets of a National Scholarship Winner

“The greater the risk, the greater the reward,” says 2020 Goldwater Scholar Katie Wang ’21.

Read More

Request Information


We're excited you're interested in Central!

Submit your request and we’ll make sure you don’t miss any information about campus visit events, scholarship opportunities and more.

Request Info


This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.